It has been revealed through a recent report that the Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority (RQIA), which is the independent health and social care regulatory body for Northern Ireland is carrying out varied tests fearing the spread of bacteria that has caused deaths of four babies in the country.
According to the findings of the report, Pseudomonas infections have been targeting small children since the month of December and have caused deaths of three babies in the Norfolk and Norwich University hospital in Belfast and one in Altnagelvin Hospital in Londonderry. It is being said that the bacteria, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, is found in stagnant water and soil or even on humans’ skin.
However, it has been revealed that the bacteria do not tend to cause any kind of harm to people. But, it easily attacks people whose immune systems are weak, including children, patients or older people. Further, health experts have told that it is a most common type of healthcare-associated infections and does not react to antibiotics.
Since the bacteria has asked for three children’s life at the hospital in just two months, says the report, tests are being conducted at the hospital’s intensive care unit for babies. As per the investigating team, it has been found that the bacteria were present in more than normal levels in the water supply of the unit.
Also, three babies diagnosed with the infection, who have colonized their skin, are being given antibiotics. Health authorities have told that tests are being continued so as to prevent any further infection, though no clinical signs have been found so far in any patient.
Besides, the Health Protection Agency has also been suggesting that sterile water should be used in order to avert such viral infection, the report reveals.
- New Barbie has realistic proportions of average girl
- DST to Officially Resume on Second Sunday in March
- Eric Schmidt says Google’s data is now protected from any kind of government snooping
- harmon.ie enterprise collaboration app for Office 365 wins App Award for best international app
- Judge Lucy Koh rejects Apple’s second bid for Samsung smartphone sales ban