Some would call it a very brave move, while some would call it an act of solidarity. On the eve of the world's greatest shave Independent MP Andrew Wilkie went under the clippers to shave his head, in order to raise money for the Leukemia Foundation. Mr. Wilkie's head was shaved by a leukemia patient, Matt Tucker. A friend of Mr. Hanson was recently diagnosed with this cancer which made him think that life is too short and something can affect anybody at any time.
World's greatest shave is an annual event that encourages people to shave their head to show support and raise funds for the leukemia foundation which helps people suffering from cancer. It is one of Australia's biggest fundraising events. There are many people who turn up in showing their gratitude for cancer patients by either shaving their heads or coloring them. The money raised from this event then helps fund blood cancer research to improve treatments and find cures.
According to the CEO of Leukemia Foundation of Australia, Peter Cox, there would be over 260 Tasmanian who would get diagnosed with leukemia, lymphoma, and myeloma. Although there has been adequate research done till date which has increased the survival chances, still at least one Australian dies from blood cancer every two hours.
The foundation is hopeful to raise almost $280,000 in Tasmania and with people like Andrew Wilkie coming forward to support the cause, there would be many other people who would get encouraged to follow suit by either shaving or coloring their head. It is expected that almost 600 people would come join the event and shave their head this year to raise funds for the foundation.
- New York City Rent Guidelines Board in an Unprecedented Move Votes to Freeze Regulated Rents on One-Year Leases
- According to S&P Dubai Real Estate Prices Likely to Drop Ten to Twenty Percent 2015
- Gains Noted in Southern California Home Sales Marking a Rise in Prices
- Fannie Mae Accused of Discriminating Neighborhoods on the Basis of Races by Fair Housing
- Second Quarter Profits of Business Software Provider SAP Drops Due to Higher Expenditures
- The National Football League’s Revenue Growing Rapidly with $1.3 billion Added Revenue in 2014
- Express with Emojis and You Might be Able to Suggest the Next Emoji to be Included on the Keyboard
- Livetext, the New Yahoo Messenger Debuts in Hong Kong before a Wider Release
- Report from a Security Firm Suggests Decline in Spam Rate and Increase in Malware Creation
- President Obama Planning to Make Changes in US Criminal Justice System
- Documents from 2005 Sex-Assault Lawsuit Should Not Be Unsealed, says Bill Cosby’s Lawyer
- Friend of Boston Bomber Sentenced Two And a Half Years of Imprisonment
- Prison Employee faces Charges of helping 2 Prisoners to Escape
- New York police detective shoots gunman who injured a man