As per recent reports, it has been subjected that a 16-month old baby boy had been assisted with world's smallest artificial heart. Italian doctors suggested that the implantation of the heart was necessary to keep the baby alive, till the time they could find any donor for transplant.
It has been reported that the infant was operated last month at Rome's Bambino Gesu hospital. It has been discovered that the baby was diagnosed with dilated myocardiopathy. Under this condition, fibers of heart either stretch out or become enlarged. As a consequence, the heart becomes weak and thus, loses the ability to pump blood across the body.
Moreover, it has been notified that apart from the disease, the baby also developed serious infection near mechanical pump that he was assisted with earlier, for better natural functioning of the heart.
Surgeon Antonio Amodeo said, "This is a milestone". He emphasized that the baby was kept alive using the device for 13 days. He termed that they didn't face any major problem, while operating the child; however, the only problem was that he was operated several times before.
He pointed out that as for now, it was a temporary substitute for transplant but in coming time, it will surely be used permanently.
- New York City Rent Guidelines Board in an Unprecedented Move Votes to Freeze Regulated Rents on One-Year Leases
- According to S&P Dubai Real Estate Prices Likely to Drop Ten to Twenty Percent 2015
- Gains Noted in Southern California Home Sales Marking a Rise in Prices
- Fannie Mae Accused of Discriminating Neighborhoods on the Basis of Races by Fair Housing
- Second Quarter Profits of Business Software Provider SAP Drops Due to Higher Expenditures
- The National Football League’s Revenue Growing Rapidly with $1.3 billion Added Revenue in 2014
- Express with Emojis and You Might be Able to Suggest the Next Emoji to be Included on the Keyboard
- Livetext, the New Yahoo Messenger Debuts in Hong Kong before a Wider Release
- Report from a Security Firm Suggests Decline in Spam Rate and Increase in Malware Creation
- President Obama Planning to Make Changes in US Criminal Justice System
- Documents from 2005 Sex-Assault Lawsuit Should Not Be Unsealed, says Bill Cosby’s Lawyer
- Friend of Boston Bomber Sentenced Two And a Half Years of Imprisonment
- Prison Employee faces Charges of helping 2 Prisoners to Escape
- New York police detective shoots gunman who injured a man