It has been noted by health officials in Auckland that whooping cough cases in the country have augmented significantly as compared to the previous year. The concerns have been calling for awareness in the region.
Whooping cough is a transmissible disease that particularly largely affects infants and small babies. It can be easily spread through sneezing or coughing. Starting from mild cough, it can later lead to fatal consequences too.
It has been found that 7% of cases each year are of children less than one year in age. Also, the age group accounts for around 62% of hospitalizations nationally.
The data revealed has shown almost 322 cases of the illness this year and a third of it is only realized in May. The figure is a five-fold increase to that in the last year, says the report.
Health experts have been worrying the data and have thus been cautioning parents to be careful and remain away from babies. Also, those who come in contact with children often should go for a booster, they suggest.
Further, it is being recommended that children should be vaccinated with three doses, which are given at six weeks, three months and five months of age. Also, older children should receive the same at four and 11 years also.
- New York City Rent Guidelines Board in an Unprecedented Move Votes to Freeze Regulated Rents on One-Year Leases
- According to S&P Dubai Real Estate Prices Likely to Drop Ten to Twenty Percent 2015
- Gains Noted in Southern California Home Sales Marking a Rise in Prices
- Fannie Mae Accused of Discriminating Neighborhoods on the Basis of Races by Fair Housing
- Second Quarter Profits of Business Software Provider SAP Drops Due to Higher Expenditures
- The National Football League’s Revenue Growing Rapidly with $1.3 billion Added Revenue in 2014
- Express with Emojis and You Might be Able to Suggest the Next Emoji to be Included on the Keyboard
- Livetext, the New Yahoo Messenger Debuts in Hong Kong before a Wider Release
- Report from a Security Firm Suggests Decline in Spam Rate and Increase in Malware Creation
- President Obama Planning to Make Changes in US Criminal Justice System
- Documents from 2005 Sex-Assault Lawsuit Should Not Be Unsealed, says Bill Cosby’s Lawyer
- Friend of Boston Bomber Sentenced Two And a Half Years of Imprisonment
- Prison Employee faces Charges of helping 2 Prisoners to Escape
- New York police detective shoots gunman who injured a man