It was not less than a shock when it was said that oral contraceptives can be sold over-the-counter. The most astonishing part of the story was that the suggestion came from the medical society.
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists has also talked about the matter. Same has also been published in the journal Obstetrics and Gynecology. They were of the view that unintended pregnancies are on rise and that happens due to two reasons. One is inaccessibility to get contraceptives and cost of the same.
"A potential way to improve contraceptive access and use, and possibly decrease the unintended pregnancy rate, is to allow over-the-counter access to oral contraceptives", said the committee. There were experts, who said that side effects of contraceptives can also take place.
On which, the committee said that aspirin and acetaminophen are some of the many medicines that are available over-the counter. They also pose side effects, but also provide a number of benefits. Moreover, counter packaging can play the role of informing about the side effects.
Concerns were also raised as it was said that people will miss their doctors' visits. But, the committee said that nothing of such sort will take place.
- Postage Prices will Decrease from Sunday; USPS not too Happy About It
- Marriott and Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc Shareholders Approve to $14.41 Sales Deal
- UK plan to impose additional tax on sugary drinks
- Obesity during pregnancy may increase risk of very ‘large babies’
- Dropping Sales at Gap’s Key Brands hurt the Company’s Shares