Indeed a huge loss for the researcher fraternity as Dr. Rita Levi-Montalcini died in her home at the age of 103. She is known for her consistent efforts in the field of tracking critical chemical tools, which plays a key role in directing cell growth and build nerve networks.
"I don't use these words easily, but her work revolutionized the study of neural development, from how we think about it to how we intervene", said Dr. Gerald D. Fishbach, a neuroscientist and professor emeritus at Columbia, in response to the death of the lady, who never married.
She has apparently started researching about chicken embryos in the bedroom of her house in Turin, Italy, during World War II, and after years of long reseseazrch, she along with Dr. Stanley Cohen, a biochemist also at Washington University, managed to unleash a protein, which further revealed a lot about disorders of neural growth.
It was in 1986 that she along with Dr. Cohen shared the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for their contribution in understanding diseases like cancer, Alzheimer's disease etc.
She had even opposed a manifesto barring non-Aryan Italians from having professional careers, and continued with her way of life, thereby showing what she was made up of.
- New York City Rent Guidelines Board in an Unprecedented Move Votes to Freeze Regulated Rents on One-Year Leases
- According to S&P Dubai Real Estate Prices Likely to Drop Ten to Twenty Percent 2015
- Gains Noted in Southern California Home Sales Marking a Rise in Prices
- Fannie Mae Accused of Discriminating Neighborhoods on the Basis of Races by Fair Housing
- Second Quarter Profits of Business Software Provider SAP Drops Due to Higher Expenditures
- The National Football League’s Revenue Growing Rapidly with $1.3 billion Added Revenue in 2014
- Express with Emojis and You Might be Able to Suggest the Next Emoji to be Included on the Keyboard
- Livetext, the New Yahoo Messenger Debuts in Hong Kong before a Wider Release
- Report from a Security Firm Suggests Decline in Spam Rate and Increase in Malware Creation
- President Obama Planning to Make Changes in US Criminal Justice System
- Documents from 2005 Sex-Assault Lawsuit Should Not Be Unsealed, says Bill Cosby’s Lawyer
- Friend of Boston Bomber Sentenced Two And a Half Years of Imprisonment
- Prison Employee faces Charges of helping 2 Prisoners to Escape
- New York police detective shoots gunman who injured a man