He has received the first ever transplant of hand in the UK and following the same, he was seen extremely glee. 51-year-old Mark Cahill has undergone the eight-hour long operation so as to get his severe gout treated.
December 27, the surgery was carried out at Leeds General Infirmary, the report finds. However, the op was largely criticized by a renowned surgeon of the nation for he believed that the patient would at the end of his arm get a dead hand.
The surgeon affirmed that transplanted hands were often limited and caused much inconvenience later, though nerves were joined up carefully. But, the challenging surgery has turned out to provide Mr. Cahill with slight movement in his right hand, which had stopped functioning due to gout.
Doctors in Leeds affirm that the treatment given involved a new technique, which involved removal of his non-functioning right hand, thereby transplanting the donor hand. Surgeons further say that the procedure, probably the first one, has provided accurate restoration of nerve structures.
"This operation is the culmination of a great deal of planning and preparation over the last two years by a team including plastic surgery, surgery, immunology and many other disciplines", Professor Simon Kay, Consultant plastic surgeon, was quoted as affirming.
- New York City Rent Guidelines Board in an Unprecedented Move Votes to Freeze Regulated Rents on One-Year Leases
- According to S&P Dubai Real Estate Prices Likely to Drop Ten to Twenty Percent 2015
- Gains Noted in Southern California Home Sales Marking a Rise in Prices
- Fannie Mae Accused of Discriminating Neighborhoods on the Basis of Races by Fair Housing
- Second Quarter Profits of Business Software Provider SAP Drops Due to Higher Expenditures
- The National Football League’s Revenue Growing Rapidly with $1.3 billion Added Revenue in 2014
- Express with Emojis and You Might be Able to Suggest the Next Emoji to be Included on the Keyboard
- Livetext, the New Yahoo Messenger Debuts in Hong Kong before a Wider Release
- Report from a Security Firm Suggests Decline in Spam Rate and Increase in Malware Creation
- President Obama Planning to Make Changes in US Criminal Justice System
- Documents from 2005 Sex-Assault Lawsuit Should Not Be Unsealed, says Bill Cosby’s Lawyer
- Friend of Boston Bomber Sentenced Two And a Half Years of Imprisonment
- Prison Employee faces Charges of helping 2 Prisoners to Escape
- New York police detective shoots gunman who injured a man