A recent news piece talked about the longest kidney transplant chain ever been started in Iowa, where as much as five people managed to receive a new lease of life and that too in three days. Among all were a couple of Peter March and his wife, Nerissa. Though Nerissa had suffered from kidney failure, her husband despite his agreement to donate his kidney could not help her as the organs were not compatible.
However, the couple was lucky enough as Peter donated his kidney to save someone's life and his wife got kidney from a stranger.
"This is why it's so special, that we hear often in the news such detriment, such poor outcomes, and always focusing on the negative", said Dr. Cass Franklin, director of the transplant program at Mercy, said at a news conference, while confirming that the chain apparently started with a humanitarian donor.
The paired kidney exchange actually sped up the entire process; else, they would have had to wait for long years. As of now, there are as much as 532 people waiting for kidneys, and that's what makes it all the more imperative that more and more efforts are made to address the rising concern of organ donation.
- New York City Rent Guidelines Board in an Unprecedented Move Votes to Freeze Regulated Rents on One-Year Leases
- According to S&P Dubai Real Estate Prices Likely to Drop Ten to Twenty Percent 2015
- Gains Noted in Southern California Home Sales Marking a Rise in Prices
- Fannie Mae Accused of Discriminating Neighborhoods on the Basis of Races by Fair Housing
- Second Quarter Profits of Business Software Provider SAP Drops Due to Higher Expenditures
- The National Football League’s Revenue Growing Rapidly with $1.3 billion Added Revenue in 2014
- Express with Emojis and You Might be Able to Suggest the Next Emoji to be Included on the Keyboard
- Livetext, the New Yahoo Messenger Debuts in Hong Kong before a Wider Release
- Report from a Security Firm Suggests Decline in Spam Rate and Increase in Malware Creation
- President Obama Planning to Make Changes in US Criminal Justice System
- Documents from 2005 Sex-Assault Lawsuit Should Not Be Unsealed, says Bill Cosby’s Lawyer
- Friend of Boston Bomber Sentenced Two And a Half Years of Imprisonment
- Prison Employee faces Charges of helping 2 Prisoners to Escape
- New York police detective shoots gunman who injured a man