May 31 is national Cystic Fibrosis Awareness Day. Cystic Fibrosis WA has aimed to raise $1 million by the end of the month for research and treatment. The foundation is encouraging people to participate in the 65 Roses Challenge.
The condition leads to too much salt and not enough water into the cells because of the presence of a faulty gene. It leads to a buildup of mucus in the lungs or digestive system. The buildup can't be cleared and makes the lung damage irreparable. The chronic infection requires lung transplantation for survival, or otherwise leads to death.
Barker said, "Our vision is to ensure lives are unaffected by cystic fibrosis and make sure every child is able to reach their full potential, unencumbered by the condition".
According to experts, nearly 30,000 people in the United States have cystic fibrosis and most of them will not live to be 40. In last 50 years, there has been a continual increase in the success of CF treatment compared to 1960s, when most sufferers did not live to be 10 years old.
A new medicine has been designed by the Vertex lab in San Diego for CF treatment. It is a small pill and has high hopes being placed to increase both the quality and length of life for those with CF. It is going through the last phase of trial on humans.
- Postage Prices will Decrease from Sunday; USPS not too Happy About It
- Marriott and Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc Shareholders Approve to $14.41 Sales Deal
- UK plan to impose additional tax on sugary drinks
- Obesity during pregnancy may increase risk of very ‘large babies’
- Dropping Sales at Gap’s Key Brands hurt the Company’s Shares