Rising average global temperatures has once again made the North Pole a home to a lake in the middle of the Arctic ice cap. The same place was covered only with ice a month ago. North Pole Environmental Observatory has taken a photograph that shows a dramatic picture of the Arctic ice cap.
The average size of the ice cap has been shrinking over the past decades. The lowest point for Arctic sea ice was recorded last summer.
The situation in Antarctica is no way different, with sheets of ice meting rapidly. A study released earlier this week showed that Antarctic permafrost is melting, too. Permafrost is soil that has been below freezing temperatures for many years. Permafrost is melting at a higher pace than the melting ice. It is signal of rise in average temperatures.
Melting of Permafrost is happening at a faster pace in the Arctic as well. It is a serious concern because large amounts of methane are present in Arctic Ocean. Melting of ice will allow methane to escape in the atmosphere. Methane is a potent greenhouse gas, which has more heat than carbon dioxide.
According to The North Pole Environmental Observatory, "In 2012, on August 26, the Arctic sea ice extent reached the lowest value observed during the satellite record. Following that low, Arctic sea ice extent continued to drop, falling below 4 million square kilometers by September 5".
- New York City Rent Guidelines Board in an Unprecedented Move Votes to Freeze Regulated Rents on One-Year Leases
- According to S&P Dubai Real Estate Prices Likely to Drop Ten to Twenty Percent 2015
- Gains Noted in Southern California Home Sales Marking a Rise in Prices
- Fannie Mae Accused of Discriminating Neighborhoods on the Basis of Races by Fair Housing
- Second Quarter Profits of Business Software Provider SAP Drops Due to Higher Expenditures
- The National Football League’s Revenue Growing Rapidly with $1.3 billion Added Revenue in 2014
- Express with Emojis and You Might be Able to Suggest the Next Emoji to be Included on the Keyboard
- Livetext, the New Yahoo Messenger Debuts in Hong Kong before a Wider Release
- Report from a Security Firm Suggests Decline in Spam Rate and Increase in Malware Creation
- President Obama Planning to Make Changes in US Criminal Justice System
- Documents from 2005 Sex-Assault Lawsuit Should Not Be Unsealed, says Bill Cosby’s Lawyer
- Friend of Boston Bomber Sentenced Two And a Half Years of Imprisonment
- Prison Employee faces Charges of helping 2 Prisoners to Escape
- New York police detective shoots gunman who injured a man