Greg Hunt uses Wikipedia Entry to Reject a Link between Climate Change and Bushfires
The Environment Minister Greg Hunt has used Wikipedia entry to reject suggestions from former US Vice-President Al Gore and the UN's chief of climate change negotiations Christiana Figueres. He has rejected the links between bushfires and climate change.
He did so during a BBC interview. Mr. Gore said that there is nothing to be surprised by Tony Abbott's claims to reject any link between bushfires and climate change, as special priorities lead to drive decisions in different directions.
Mr. Hunt, on the other hand, said that there is history of bushfires in Australia and it is actually associated with the latest outbreaks.
Mr. Hunt said to have called Ms. Figueres after she commented on US television that the Australian Government is making a mistake by scraping Labor's carbon price system. She also said that it could have the government pay a high political and economic price for the same.
She said that there is nothing to prove that the current blazes were a result of climate change, but the future outbreak might be.
She added, "But what is absolutely clear is the science is telling us that there are increasing heatwaves in Asia, Europe, and Australia; that these will continue; that they will continue in their intensity and in their frequency".
Ms. Figueres also said that climate change alters the likelihood of increased wildfire sizes and frequencies.
New Zealand News
- PAGCor suffers first-half deficit of $32.5 million due to corona virus-related closures
- Cambodian casino operator NagaCorp all set to partially reopen flagship Phnom Penh gaming venue
- Bridge Investment ordered to stop work on Tinian Casino project due to lack of permits
- Philippines government warns public not to patronize illegal online gambling operations
- Eldorado Resorts’ capital raising plans could be catalyst to finalize $17.3bn Caesars deal