Sneak Peek into Lyme Disease
Lyme disease is the most common tick-borne illness in North America. It is a major concern for people living in the region during the summer and early fall.
During their peak season, the eastern black-legged ticks are active and carry the disease and other infections that can be transmitted to humans through a bite. Lyme disease is caused from bacteria of infected rodents which get passed on to ticks.
The disease was not common earlier in North Dakota, but a rise has been witnessed in the Lyme disease cases there from 2000 to 2005. As per state Department of Health Epidemiologist Alicia Lepp, 29 cases of the disease were reported in 2013 and 14 in 2012.
One of the reasons for the same could the deer tock spread in the eastern part of the state. Many people of North Dakota reported of being infected with the disease as they revealed of travelling to Minnesota. Deer ticks are quite a problem in Minnesota, said Lepp.
From 1996 to 2012, around 13,000 cases were reported in the state. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, nation witnessed over 20,000 cases in 2012.
Augusto Alonto, chair of Sanford Health's infectious disease department in Fargo explained that not all the ticks are infected with Lyme disease. Moreover, the increased number of reported cases indicates about rise in awareness level of the disease.
Some early symptoms of the disease are fatigue, chills, fever, headache and red rash. With the help of diagnostic test, the disease can be diagnosed and things will improve with antibiotics.
It is also good to use a bug repellant having DEET on clothes and exposed skin. Wearing long sleeved shirt and pants would reduce the chance of getting bitten by tick.
Organic Market Europe
New Zealand News
- Cambodian casino operator NagaCorp all set to partially reopen flagship Phnom Penh gaming venue
- Bridge Investment ordered to stop work on Tinian Casino project due to lack of permits
- Philippines government warns public not to patronize illegal online gambling operations
- Eldorado Resorts’ capital raising plans could be catalyst to finalize $17.3bn Caesars deal
- BetConstruct obtains license to offer Sportsbook and Casino products in Swedish market