According to a small study published in the American Journal Cancer Epidemiology , Biomakers and Prevention, the risk of a rare type of cancer in children acute myeloid leukemia is increased when mom to be drink alcohol. The researchers looked at 21 previous studies of women’s drinking habits during pregnancy and childhood leukemia , found that women who drank during pregnancy had a 56 percent increased risk of childhood AML . Researchers also suspect that it may an interaction between genes and the environment, including drinking alcohol which causes leukemia in children which is largely unknown.
In am email to Reuters Health, Dr.Julie Ross of the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis, who was not involved in the study, said “The vast majority of women who consume alcohol during pregnancy will not have a child who develops leukemia. However, given other risks associated with alcohol drinking during pregnancy, these results can help to reiterate the message that it is probably best to abstain from alcohol if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant”. Ross also cautioned “While a 56 percent increased risk sounds like a lot, in real terms it means that with a childhood AML incidence rate in the US of about 8 cases diagnosed per million children, the risk might increase to about 12 cases diagnosed per million children. Thus about 4 more cases per million children”.
Ross explained further, on the flip side for American Women, she said “This also means that 94 percent might be attributable to other causes”. There were other limitations to the studies however researchers say it is possible the results were skewed because some women who drank during pregnancy did not admit to it “due to the stigma”.
- New York City Rent Guidelines Board in an Unprecedented Move Votes to Freeze Regulated Rents on One-Year Leases
- According to S&P Dubai Real Estate Prices Likely to Drop Ten to Twenty Percent 2015
- Gains Noted in Southern California Home Sales Marking a Rise in Prices
- Fannie Mae Accused of Discriminating Neighborhoods on the Basis of Races by Fair Housing
- Second Quarter Profits of Business Software Provider SAP Drops Due to Higher Expenditures
- The National Football League’s Revenue Growing Rapidly with $1.3 billion Added Revenue in 2014
- Express with Emojis and You Might be Able to Suggest the Next Emoji to be Included on the Keyboard
- Livetext, the New Yahoo Messenger Debuts in Hong Kong before a Wider Release
- Report from a Security Firm Suggests Decline in Spam Rate and Increase in Malware Creation
- President Obama Planning to Make Changes in US Criminal Justice System
- Documents from 2005 Sex-Assault Lawsuit Should Not Be Unsealed, says Bill Cosby’s Lawyer
- Friend of Boston Bomber Sentenced Two And a Half Years of Imprisonment
- Prison Employee faces Charges of helping 2 Prisoners to Escape
- New York police detective shoots gunman who injured a man