MTN have not Reached an Agreement with the Nigerian Government Authorities

MTN have not Reached an Agreement with the Nigerian Government AuthoritiesMTN Group, the mobile phone company from South African said on Saturday, it has not reached any final agreement with the Nigerian government authorities that will permit it to make the $5.2 billion fine in phases, which was supposed to be paid on Monday.

Chris Maroleng, a spokesperson from MTN said, "We caution against information from any sources outside the company."

Reportedly, according to a source at the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), MTN asked the authorities to be permitted to stagger the payment earlier.

Last month, the fine was imposed on MTN by the NCC for its failure to decrease 5.2 million unregistered SIM cards that were registered on its Nigerian network.

The government of Nigeria has been telling the telecommunication operators to create a system to verify the identity of their subscribers. The worries have increased in recent times as the unregistered SIM cards have been used by the criminals and the Boko Haram militants to cause disruptions in the northeast.

Chris Maroleng, a spokesperson from MTN said, "MTN refutes claims that we have arrived at any agreement of staggered payment of the fine. We caution against information from any source outside the company."