Deadly Organisms Found in Shopping Bags
Researchers have said that the shopping bags fabricate lethal food poisoning micro-organisms and can therefore pose a serious risk over the health of shoppers. It was revealed after a test was conducted, of 84 shoppers to check these bags.
Traces of E.coli, a lethal micro-organism were detected in over half of the bags checked. Statistics show that in the year 1996, 26 people died because of the same virus in Scotland. It had been recorded as the most horrible food poisoning spates across the globe.
Charles Gerba, who led the study, said, “Our findings suggest a serious threat to public health, especially from bacteria such as E.coli, which were detected in half of the bags sampled. Consumers are alarmingly unaware of these risks and the need to sanitize their bags on a weekly basis”.
Also, several bags were tested by the scientists from University of Arizona in the US too, were found to be tainted with salmonella. It was said that although the jute or woven polypropylene bags have reduced the amount of plastic bags by 40% from past three years, but even the former pose threat, if they aren’t cleaned and washed on a regular basis.
And on a surprise note, the shoppers who do not bother to clean these bags or wash or bleach them, account to be a 97% in total.
Organic Market Europe
New Zealand News
- The Star Sydney Hotel & Casino signs new 20-year tax agreement with EGM exclusivity
- Air New Zealand plans to shed 2,000 more jobs to deal with low demand
- Macau Gambling King Stanley Ho passes away aged 98
- Tensions between US and China may hurt Las Vegas’ Casino Revenue
- Nevada Gaming Watchdog forces Casinos to submit their reopening plans