A dog was able to save a family in Launceston from a house fire after waking them up.
At about 2 am in the lounge room of the Berean Street house, the blaze started in an open fire place.
According to the Tasmania Fire Service, there was a smoke alarm but its battery was flat.
Firefighters stated that if the family’s pet dog had not alerted the family then the situation could have been worse.
After the smoke billowed through their Launceston home on Wednesday, the dog started barking to alert the family that was sleeping.
The fire was tried to be controlled by parents and then they ran out into the street shouting for help to douse the fire that had spread from embers in an open fireplace.
The blaze was controlled by firefighters in the living room around the fireplace.
Paul Catterall of the Tasmania Fire Service gave the credit of saving the family form a dangerous situation to the Australian silky terrier, the family’s pet dog.
He also urged all homeowners to ensure that their fire alarm was fitted and was working. The fire is reported to have caused around $5000 in damages.
- Partial Yahoo Mail outage this week affected users for past two, or even three days
- Google Sheets rebuilt from ground up; new version available immediately
- Valve to ship out prototype Steam Machines to 300 selected US beta testers on Dec. 13
- EU court dismisses Cisco's complaint against Microsoft's Skype acquisition deal
- AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson: Carriers need to move away from the subsidy model