Doctor Alleged of Giving Inadequate Treatment to a Girl Suffering from Nut Allergy

NHSHealth officials have backed the parents who lost their girl recently and they allege their family doctor of not giving her proper treatment.

They have ordered the doctor to apologize over the death of the girl who died from nut allergy.

Her parents gave an argument that she should have received an EpiPen which is used to inject adrenaline as they opine that it could have prevented her death from an extreme allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis.

Miss C was born in April 2000 and she was suffering from eczema, asthma and lactose intolerance. An NHS dermatologist had suggested her to avoid nuts and he also referred her to the board's allergy service for advanced diagnosis.

Despite of that, the family doctor didn’t think of taking any action for further treatment. After a month, the GP got a letter from a consultant pediatrician saying, “She had discussed Miss C with her allergy colleagues, who were happy to see her and advice regarding further allergy testing and also advise regarding an EpiPen".

In his report, ombudsman Jim Martin said that health professionals lack with a clear guidance in Scotland about the prescription of an EpiPen. He further mentioned that NHS board had now produced guidance and Miss C would have received an adrenaline auto injector if this guidance had been in place before her death.

Health: 
General: