Compassion level for people with mental illness remains low
Mental health disorder is considered to be the most common childhood disease. A data suggests that one in five adults suffer from it, but then also there is not much level of understanding or compassion about the disease.
It is not something new that people having mental illness have been seen under the light of negativity. They are actually discriminated and owing to this reason, people suffering from it avoid seeking medical help or discuss the condition with others.
Kana Enomoto, principal deputy administrator of the U.S. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration said that the societal outlook results into behavior and policy that make life more difficult for those having mental health issues.
Enomoto affirmed that it all depends on how you treat a person with mental illness. Despite being repeatedly said that people with mental illness should be not be looked upon with discrimination, the condition is these people are more likely to face legal action than receiving medical help.
The current scenario is that there is more number of people with mental illness in jails than in hospitals. Rather than receiving help, they are blamed for carrying out violence. Also, they have higher rates of homelessness.
For past 400 years, fear has driven mental health discrimination. In fact, in the 1700s, people having psychological conditions were put behind bars owing to their different behaviors as at that time authorities concerned did not know what else they can do.
Though things have changed in comparison with earlier days, there are still many targets to be achieved. A study has shared that even doctors do not take mental health as seriously as they should. There is a need to bring changes in thought process of people.
New Zealand News
- Tesla Model Y Performance becomes little bit more expensive to order in China
- Porsche’s recently unveiled Mission R Concept previews electric race cars of future
- Chinese manufacturer GAC’s Aion V e-SUV can charge 0-80% in just 8 minutes
- Oshidori International exits Japanese casino race, citing serious ethical irregularities
- CATL and LG Energy account for nearly 54% of global xEV battery market: SNE Research
- Micro Mobility shows off production version of Microlino 2.0 and 3-wheeled e-scooter
- Chinese electric motorcycle maker Evoke Motorcycles to set up shops in Spain
- TenneT adds more electric BMWs to study use of EVs to support power grids
- Italy’s ASPI announces plans to install cross-country ultra-fast EV charging network
- EV ownership costs significantly lower than conventional models: French Study