NICE Recommends Xgeva For Bone Metastasis; A Cost Effective Treatment
According to NICE, the only way to help those cancer patients whose disease has been extended to their bones, is Amgen's Xgeva (denosumab). There are certain groups of cancer patients who are suffering from bone metastases and other most solid cancer tumours; this treatment is suitable for all of them.
Other than this, NICE has also recommended this drug for patients who are facing bone metastases due to breast cancer. Xgeva is not an anti-cancer or pain relieving treatment. It prevents the skeletal-related events to happen which further stops cancer to occur.
It was following Amgen's proposal to a secret patient access scheme, that such recommendations were made. Another beneficial aspect about this treatment is that it has been priced quite reasonable for the NHS.
In particular, a 120mg vial of denosumab costs £309.86; this means that if it used as a treatment for one full year, which includes 13 doses, then the entire treatment costs £4,028.18.
According to NICE, it seems to be a quite cost effective treatment and that too by efficiently using the NHS resources. Professor Carole Longson, director of the centre for health technology evaluation at NICE, said: "Bone metastasis can severely affect a person's quality of life, stopping them from doing things so many of us take for granted".
New Zealand News
- Tesla plans to open Superchargers to other automakers this year: Elon Musk
- 2022 Audi e-tron GT to hit US roads this summer, prices starting at $99,900
- South Korean EV battery manufacturers to invest $35 billion by 2030
- Chinese smart EV maker XPeng to join Hang Seng Composite Index
- New South Wales announces new policy to boost EV adoption
- TenneT adds more electric BMWs to study use of EVs to support power grids
- Italy’s ASPI announces plans to install cross-country ultra-fast EV charging network
- EV ownership costs significantly lower than conventional models: French Study
- Results of Tesla Model S Plaid fast charging study are quite amazing
- Garelli rolls out new electric scooter Ciclone E4 with more power