ECB to buy bonds of troubled member countries
The European Central Bank (ECB) has indicated that it will directly get involved in the bonds market and purchase bonds of troubled member countries, most likely Spain and Italy.
Investor sentiments worldwide was moderately boosted by the European Central Bank's decision on Thursday to launch a new scheme to buy as many bonds as are required to stabilize the countries that are facing a difficult economic situation. The purchase of bonds by the region's central bank is aimed at reducing the cost of borrowing for some countries.
European Central Bank President Mario Draghi, who recently sparked a global stock rise, is working with several national governments in the region as well as outside to take steps to reduce the high cost of borrowings in Spain and Italy. Draghi had recently caused a global stock rally when he said that the ECB would do whatever it takes to save the Eurozone. He said that the ECB would ready to do "whatever it takes to preserve the euro".
The ECB is likely to buy bonds that still have between one to three years, indicating that it will acquire mixture of short term bonds and long-term ones about to need refinancing. The bank has already purchased 230 billion euro worth of long term bonds of Spanish and Italian.
New Zealand News
- Tesla offering new discounts & perks in China amid negative press
- Electric Vehicle Council slams Victoria Government for proposed punitive mileage tax on electric cars
- Chinese EV brand Ora unveils VW Beetle-inspired electric car Punk Cat
- Swapping personal car for e-bicycle saved over $50,000 in just 7 years: San Francisco woman
- Hyundai Motor Corp to create ultra-fast EV charging network E-pit in Korea
- Tesla pockets roughly $101 million in profit from sale of some of its bitcoins
- Norway’s ICE car sales decline as buyers making shift to EVs
- Pursang launches Retro-inspired E-Track Motorcycle for Euro 14,449 in Netherlands
- ElectReon successfully tests dynamic wireless EV charging system on public road in Sweden
- Volvo to design special Gothenburg Green City Zone for autonomous & related technologies