Doubts over Antidepressants to Pregnant Women Remain
Some studies have pinpointed that anti-depressants are unsafe for pregnant women as well as their unborn babies. While some researchers say that these are beneficial in terms of preventing depression. Debate over the topic has been going on since long and now a recent study has again called for continuation of the debate.
Researchers from the Boston's Tufts Medical Center and the Metro West Medical Center have been claiming that the drugs offer benefits, but only to a little extent. However, the harms caused to expectant mothers are multiple.
It is being said that the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressants may cause miscarriage or preterm birth. Sometimes, these may also lead to developmental delays in children and their birth with autism. Therefore, these should be optional and should be prescribed with caution.
However, psychiatrist Kimberly Yonkers, MD, says that the drug cannot be optional. "For many women with severe major depression, treatment with an antidepressant is not optional, just like treatment with insulin is not optional for a woman with type1 diabetes", she said.
But, Adam Urato, MD, researcher and ob-gyn says that such a chemical alteration has never been seen in human history that happens with the drug. Thus, it is essential to restrict these.
New Zealand News
- Tesla offering new discounts & perks in China amid negative press
- Electric Vehicle Council slams Victoria Government for proposed punitive mileage tax on electric cars
- Chinese EV brand Ora unveils VW Beetle-inspired electric car Punk Cat
- Swapping personal car for e-bicycle saved over $50,000 in just 7 years: San Francisco woman
- Hyundai Motor Corp to create ultra-fast EV charging network E-pit in Korea
- Tesla pockets roughly $101 million in profit from sale of some of its bitcoins
- Norway’s ICE car sales decline as buyers making shift to EVs
- Pursang launches Retro-inspired E-Track Motorcycle for Euro 14,449 in Netherlands
- ElectReon successfully tests dynamic wireless EV charging system on public road in Sweden