Aspirin Causes Macular Degeneration, Says Research
A recent research by the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health has asserted that Aspirin consumption causes macular degeneration in a long run.
Aspirin is taken by a large number of people in the US and across the world in order to get relief from minor pains and to avoid heart attacks. The researchers studied a total of 4,926 people of ages between 43 and 86 to track the effect of the drug.
These participants had eye tests every five years for period of 20 years. Apart from eye tests, they were asked about how often do they consume aspirin and it was recorded as well. After the completion of the study, the effects on macula of the participants were traced.
It was then found that 512 out of all the participants, suffered from early age-related macular degeneration (AMD), while 117 have late age-related degeneration. It helped the researchers recognize that aspirin had significant affect on macula and was linked with AMD.
However, the authors said the results should not alter the aspirin routine intakes in patients. "Patients should not be changing their aspirin usage based on this. Even if we're right, the increased risk is relatively small", said Dr. Barbara Klein, a Professor of ophthalmology and visual sciences at the University of Wisconsin.
New Zealand News
- Porsche reportedly developing electric version of 718 sports car
- Tesla Model Y Performance becomes little bit more expensive to order in China
- Porsche’s recently unveiled Mission R Concept previews electric race cars of future
- Chinese manufacturer GAC’s Aion V e-SUV can charge 0-80% in just 8 minutes
- Oshidori International exits Japanese casino race, citing serious ethical irregularities
- Plug-in cars’ share grows to 32% in Netherlands in September 2021
- Italian motorcycle racer Valentino Rossi enters e-bike business with VR46 MTB range
- Micro Mobility shows off production version of Microlino 2.0 and 3-wheeled e-scooter
- Chinese electric motorcycle maker Evoke Motorcycles to set up shops in Spain
- TenneT adds more electric BMWs to study use of EVs to support power grids