Cigars, Pipes Equally Harmful as Cigarettes
Cigars and pipes are as dangerous for health as cigarettes, according to a recent study. Pipes and cigars damage lungs as cigarettes do. These are associated with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease that includes emphysema and chronic bronchitis. It causes damage to the airways and makes it more difficult to breathe.
Pipe and cigar smoking is on the increase because people have misperception that pipes and cigars are safer than cigarettes. 18% out of the 56 study participants who had smoked at least 20 cigars or pipe-bowls in their lives showed airway obstruction. Just half of them had ever smoked cigarettes. Cigars and pipes are still considered as signs of sophistication, affluence, education and celebration.
"Physicians should consider pipe and cigar smoking a risk factor for COPD and counsel their patients to quit", said a senior researcher Dr. R. Graham Barr, an assistant professor at Columbia University Medical Center in New York.
New Zealand News
- Tesla offering new discounts & perks in China amid negative press
- Electric Vehicle Council slams Victoria Government for proposed punitive mileage tax on electric cars
- Chinese EV brand Ora unveils VW Beetle-inspired electric car Punk Cat
- Swapping personal car for e-bicycle saved over $50,000 in just 7 years: San Francisco woman
- Hyundai Motor Corp to create ultra-fast EV charging network E-pit in Korea
- Tesla pockets roughly $101 million in profit from sale of some of its bitcoins
- Norway’s ICE car sales decline as buyers making shift to EVs
- Pursang launches Retro-inspired E-Track Motorcycle for Euro 14,449 in Netherlands
- ElectReon successfully tests dynamic wireless EV charging system on public road in Sweden