Mindfulness Effective to Improve Cognitive Function
A team from the University of California has found in latest study that a course for as short as two weeks' time can help mind to concentrate and get better scores on reasoning and comprehension tests while it has emerged that mindfulness is key to improvement of cognitive function.
The research team recruited 48 undergraduates including 14 males and 34 females. They were randomly asked to spend two weeks for cultivating mindfulness in a four-days-per-week class or another course that focused on good nutrition.
Students undergoing mindfulness cultivation were also given exercises to involve in focused attention to some aspect of sensory experience. They were also trained for ignoring the thoughts of past experiences by helping them concentrate on present moment.
Before the training, the participants were given two tests; one was modified version of GRE and another measure memory capacity. It emerged that those undergoing mindfulness training were able to maintain their attention in a better way.
"One of the clearest demonstrations that mindfulness can improve working memory and reading, and the first study to tie all this together to show that mind-wandering mediates the improvements in performance", said Michael Mrazek, a Psychologist, who was among the research team in a UCSB media release.
The study was published in the journal Psychological Science.
New Zealand News
- Porsche reportedly developing electric version of 718 sports car
- Tesla Model Y Performance becomes little bit more expensive to order in China
- Porsche’s recently unveiled Mission R Concept previews electric race cars of future
- Chinese manufacturer GAC’s Aion V e-SUV can charge 0-80% in just 8 minutes
- Oshidori International exits Japanese casino race, citing serious ethical irregularities
- Plug-in cars’ share grows to 32% in Netherlands in September 2021
- Italian motorcycle racer Valentino Rossi enters e-bike business with VR46 MTB range
- Micro Mobility shows off production version of Microlino 2.0 and 3-wheeled e-scooter
- Chinese electric motorcycle maker Evoke Motorcycles to set up shops in Spain
- TenneT adds more electric BMWs to study use of EVs to support power grids