Glaciers are Melting, Ocean Levels are Rising, Researchers Worried
Researchers are again out with some bad news for us. They say that glaciers are melting in mass, which is contributing majorly to the rising ocean levels.
According to the latest estimates of professionals, massive melting of glaciers across Earth has started contributing severely to the sea rise. The figures are almost equal to what the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets combines from 2003 to 2009.
To calculate the number of the melting glaciers and their contribution to sea rise, researchers have been examining the loss of some mass glaciers between 2003 and 2009. They had been making comparison between the traditional ground measurements with those of the satellite data that was collected by the NASA's Ice, Cloud and Land Elevation Satellite (ICESat) and the Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment (GRACE) missions.
After making thorough comparisons, it was found that many of the glacial regions have lost mass in the course of the years examined. Also, it has been noticed that some of the biggest ice losses have occurred in regions like Arctic Canada, Alaska, coastal Greenland, the southern Andes and the Himalayas.
Moreover, the ice loss was calculated to be averagely 260 billion metric tons from the glaciers that were outside the Greenland and Antarctic sheets.
New Zealand News
- Porsche reportedly developing electric version of 718 sports car
- Tesla Model Y Performance becomes little bit more expensive to order in China
- Porsche’s recently unveiled Mission R Concept previews electric race cars of future
- Chinese manufacturer GAC’s Aion V e-SUV can charge 0-80% in just 8 minutes
- Oshidori International exits Japanese casino race, citing serious ethical irregularities
- Plug-in cars’ share grows to 32% in Netherlands in September 2021
- Italian motorcycle racer Valentino Rossi enters e-bike business with VR46 MTB range
- Micro Mobility shows off production version of Microlino 2.0 and 3-wheeled e-scooter
- Chinese electric motorcycle maker Evoke Motorcycles to set up shops in Spain
- TenneT adds more electric BMWs to study use of EVs to support power grids