Survey Prompts Calls for Health Lessons in Schools
A new mental health charity has revealed the country has supported calls for mental health lessons to be taught in schools. A survey for MindFull has revealed that one in five children had showed symptoms of depression.
Shockingly, three in 10 were found to have hurt themselves intentionally before they reached 16, and nearly a third made attempts to give up their life.
More than 2,000 were questioned in the survey. The participants were in the age group of 16 to 25 yrs. They were asked about their experiences of mental health when they were children.
Nicola Hatliff, who is the special educational needs coordinator at the school, said the rates of depression cases, self-harming etc. have sought a rise in the country.
Calls for mental empowerment in schools have been prompted by the findings.
Stephen Fuller is an assistant head teacher at Barnwood Park Arts College. He said, "These problems are very much on our radar and we have a range of different things we use for our students. I would very much welcome lessons on mental health issues though".
He stressed that tutors have to play a vital role in knowing their students so as to figure out even a slight change in their behavior which could be an indication to the problem. Calls have been prompted to include mental health in the national curriculum.
New Zealand News
- Porsche reportedly developing electric version of 718 sports car
- Tesla Model Y Performance becomes little bit more expensive to order in China
- Porsche’s recently unveiled Mission R Concept previews electric race cars of future
- Chinese manufacturer GAC’s Aion V e-SUV can charge 0-80% in just 8 minutes
- Oshidori International exits Japanese casino race, citing serious ethical irregularities
- Plug-in cars’ share grows to 32% in Netherlands in September 2021
- Italian motorcycle racer Valentino Rossi enters e-bike business with VR46 MTB range
- Micro Mobility shows off production version of Microlino 2.0 and 3-wheeled e-scooter
- Chinese electric motorcycle maker Evoke Motorcycles to set up shops in Spain
- TenneT adds more electric BMWs to study use of EVs to support power grids