Eight more Cases of Coronavirus in Saudi Arabia Surges Global Total to 102
The World Health Organization revealed on Wednesday that eight more people in Saudi Arabia have become infected of the MERS coronavirus. This has brought the number of confirmed infections to 102 in the globally. Of them, half of the victims have succumbed to the disease.
"Globally, from September 2012 to date, WHO has been informed of a total of 102 laboratory-confirmed cases of infection with MERS-CoV, including 49 deaths", the WHO said in a statement.
There were two men from Riyadh, who died after suffering from chronic diseases, while most of the other suffers are being kept in intensive care. Moreover, a person with a previously laboratory-confirmed case from the United Arab Emirates has added to the death toll.
The Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus is known to cause cough fever and pneumonia. It was emerge in Saudi Arabia last year. The virus has been identified in the Gulf, France, Germany, Italy, Tunisia and Britain.
Scientists have said to have found strong evidence this month that it is widespread among dromedary camels in the Middle East.
The WHO has not called for travel restrictions; however, it has urged health authorities worldwide to maintain vigilance. Travelers who have been returning from the Middle East should go for tests for MERS-CoV, if they develop severe respiratory infections.
New Zealand News
- German automaker Volkswagen invests $620 million in Northvolt to secure EV battery supply
- Top places to see in Singapore
- Xpeng enjoys 483% year-over-year jump in May 2021 deliveries; thanks to robust sale of P7
- Tesla offering new discounts & perks in China amid negative press
- Electric Vehicle Council slams Victoria Government for proposed punitive mileage tax on electric cars