Porsche Macan launched in LA Auto show
Porsche’s newest mass-market attack vehicle, Macan, was launched in Los Angeles Auto Show today. It’s a five-seat SUV A to competitor to the Range Rover Evoque, Audi Q5, BMW X3 and Merc’s GLK.
Contesting with the Range Rover Evoque for wealthy suburban moms, the compact model will possibly become Porsche’s best seller by 2015 as SUVs sum up for a majority of the brand’s sales.
To attract drivers in search of a more practical vehicle, Porsche is gearing up the Macan with features like an electronic trunk hatch and as much as 1,500 liters (53 cubic feet) of cargo space.
The model, which goes on sale April 5 in Germany, has a initial price of 57,930 euros ($78,190) for the 340-horsepower Macan S version, 24 percent cheaper than a comparably equipped Porsche Cayenne SUV.
There’ll be three Macans at launch, all which come with a seven-speed PDK ‘box as standard. All have a four-wheel drive, a rear-biased system that varies torque across the back axle.
Then there’s the Macan S, equipped with a new 3.6-litre V6 biturbo petrol engine producing 340bhp and 340lb ft and hitting 158mph and 62mph in 5.4.
Top of the tree is the Macan Turbo, which uses a boosted version of the same engine to give 400bhp, 406lb ft, and 0-62 mph in 4.8 and 165mph.
New Zealand News
- Tesla offering new discounts & perks in China amid negative press
- Electric Vehicle Council slams Victoria Government for proposed punitive mileage tax on electric cars
- Chinese EV brand Ora unveils VW Beetle-inspired electric car Punk Cat
- Swapping personal car for e-bicycle saved over $50,000 in just 7 years: San Francisco woman
- Hyundai Motor Corp to create ultra-fast EV charging network E-pit in Korea
- Tesla pockets roughly $101 million in profit from sale of some of its bitcoins
- Norway’s ICE car sales decline as buyers making shift to EVs
- Pursang launches Retro-inspired E-Track Motorcycle for Euro 14,449 in Netherlands
- ElectReon successfully tests dynamic wireless EV charging system on public road in Sweden