Asthma Drug Desensitizes Patients with Allergies to Several Foods
A new study has come up with positive results for people having allergies to several foods. An asthma drug has been found to have the efficacy to better the plight of people with allergies to various foods, claimed the Stanford University School of Medicine and Lucile Packard Children's Hospital Stanford.
The study made it evident that the asthma drug omalizumab makes patient desensitize to multiple food allergens. Patients who took the drug became desensitized to food allergies within an average of 18 weeks compared to an average of 85 weeks for those who did not take the drug.
The pretreatment with omalizumab helped patients with multiple food allergies to ingest up to five different allergens simultaneously without having any allergic reaction.
Kari C. Nadeau, MD, PhD, from the Allergy, Immunology and Rheumatology Division at Stanford University in Stanford, California, was the lead author of the study.
The study was conducted on 22 people with allergies to at least two allergens out of cow's milk, egg, peanut, nuts, grains and sesame seeds. The age of the participants was between four and six years. The pretreatment with omalizumab was given to them for eight weeks. And after nine weeks, these participants were given increasing dosages of up to five allergens over a period of 2.5 hours.
The participants again took omalizumab for eight more weeks and steadily increased the dosage of food allergens through an at-home program. The researchers found that after six months of omalizumab therapy, the allergic reactions dropped by 70% from 11 reactions per 100 doses to three reactions per 100 doses.
These findings are highly likely to improve the quality of life of patients with allergies to several foods, said researchers.
New Zealand News
- Tesla offering new discounts & perks in China amid negative press
- Electric Vehicle Council slams Victoria Government for proposed punitive mileage tax on electric cars
- Chinese EV brand Ora unveils VW Beetle-inspired electric car Punk Cat
- Swapping personal car for e-bicycle saved over $50,000 in just 7 years: San Francisco woman
- Hyundai Motor Corp to create ultra-fast EV charging network E-pit in Korea
- Tesla pockets roughly $101 million in profit from sale of some of its bitcoins
- Norway’s ICE car sales decline as buyers making shift to EVs
- Pursang launches Retro-inspired E-Track Motorcycle for Euro 14,449 in Netherlands
- ElectReon successfully tests dynamic wireless EV charging system on public road in Sweden