Number of Centenarians in Britain Crosses 13,000 Mark
It has happened for the first time that the number of centenarians in Britain has crossed the 13,000 mark. Official statistics revealing the latest figures collected in 2012 unveiled 13,350 people were aged 100 or more.
Another startling revelation is that out of the above mentioned total, 660 are at least 105-year-old. Not only this, there are now half a million people in Britain who are 90 years or above. In the past decade only, the number of centenarians has increased by 73%.
Hopes to see a rise in the number has also increased. All the credit for the rise in age goes to healthier lifestyles and advanced medication. Both these and other factors have a brought a rise in the total life expectancy rate.
In comparison to 1980s, a newborn girl can now expect to live 82.6 years and boy can expect 78.7 years. For the girl, addition of almost six years has been made and eight years have been added to the total age of boy.
The scenario was quite different before the First World War as at that time only 100 centenarians were present in Britain. In 1917, King George V sent out the first congratulatory telegrams to 24 centenarians. But now, Buckingham Palace is sending out around 10,000 laser-printed 100th birthday cards a year.
The first rise in the number of people living in great old age was seen in the 1950s and since then, the number has been increasing.
"The chance of surviving to older ages has increased for both males and females over recent decades, contributing to the rising numbers of those aged 90 and over in the population", revealed the analysis by the ONS.
New Zealand News
- Hyundai Motor Corp to create ultra-fast EV charging network E-pit in Korea
- MGE gets six-month extension for South Korea’s Inspire Entertainment Resort development project
- Price of two cheapest trims of Tesla Model 3 electric sedan increased by $500
- Genting Malaysia asks employees to accept reduced pay; executives to take leave without pay
- Tesla to design & build affordable EV in China: Tom Zhu
- Norway’s ICE car sales decline as buyers making shift to EVs
- Pursang launches Retro-inspired E-Track Motorcycle for Euro 14,449 in Netherlands
- ElectReon successfully tests dynamic wireless EV charging system on public road in Sweden
- Volvo to design special Gothenburg Green City Zone for autonomous & related technologies