Donors in demand to boost stem cells
In the first Annual National EMS Stem Cell Challenge, several paramedics, dispatchers and flight nurses from Ambulance NB to convince New Brunswickers to become stem cell or bone marrow. The movement will attempt to register healthy Canadian doctors between the ages of 17 and 50. It was started by a paramedic from Ontario named Rob Ichelson, after his 34 year old sister was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia. According to statistics, fewer than 30 % of those in need of a donor will find one within their own families and there are more than 800 Canadians in need of a stem cell or bone marrow transplant.
Sophie Cormier Lalonde, external communication officer for Ambulance NB, said “
Our paramedics, flight nurses and (dispatchers) save lives every day. The (challenge) is one more way we can help people whose only hope of survival is to find a matching donor for a transplant.”. The event which started on May 16 and runs until May 22, representatives from Ambulance NB will host a series of community registration clinics around the province.
For those interested, here is the following information on the times and places for those clinics. Today in Waterville at Upper River Hospital, Wednesday in Fredericton at the Regent Mall, in Edmundston at Hospital regional continuing on Thursday and finally on Saturday in Fredericton once again.
New Zealand News
- Porsche reportedly developing electric version of 718 sports car
- Tesla Model Y Performance becomes little bit more expensive to order in China
- Porsche’s recently unveiled Mission R Concept previews electric race cars of future
- Chinese manufacturer GAC’s Aion V e-SUV can charge 0-80% in just 8 minutes
- Oshidori International exits Japanese casino race, citing serious ethical irregularities
- Plug-in cars’ share grows to 32% in Netherlands in September 2021
- Italian motorcycle racer Valentino Rossi enters e-bike business with VR46 MTB range
- Micro Mobility shows off production version of Microlino 2.0 and 3-wheeled e-scooter
- Chinese electric motorcycle maker Evoke Motorcycles to set up shops in Spain
- TenneT adds more electric BMWs to study use of EVs to support power grids