The highest Worldwide grossing films of all time
Recent years have seen record audiences attracted to the movies by big stars and blockbuster movies – all in spite of the fact that there are many more ways to watch films now –even on mobile phones. But, actually, nothing can quite match the shared experience of watching a great story unfold on the big screen.
There have been so many record-breaking movies in the recent past that it’s hard to remember them all, and with Star Wars: The Force Awakens already setting new records I thought it would be great time to look back at the current top five box office smash hits.
1. Avatar, 2009, 20th Century Fox
Top of the list by a considerable way is Avatar. On its opening day the film made $26,752,099 and over the opening weekend box office receipts totalled $77,025,421. The film then went on to make a huge $2,783,918,992.
The film is about a beautiful and peace-loving tribe of blue aliens called the Na’vi living on a moon called Pandora. Their perfect existence is shattered when humans from Earth try to colonise the planet until good eventually triumphs over evil.
2. Titanic, 1997, Paramount
Number 2 on the list was also directed by James Cameron. Overall its box office revenue worldwide amounted to $ 2,207,615,668 and it was also the second film ever to take $2 billion worldwide.
It tells the story of the ill-fated Transatlantic liner that sank on its maiden voyage in 1912 and the story concentrates on the tragic love affair between Jack, played by Leonardo DiCaprio, and Kate Winslet’s Rose.
3. Jurassic World, Comcast, 2015
The fourth in the Jurassic Park series of films was released in 2015 and broke the world record for an opening weekendearning $208.8 million dollars in the USA and going on to earn a staggering $1.7 billion worldwide- and contributing greatly to the studio’s success as reported by many sources including indices trading company IG.
Starring Chris Pratt, the action takes place in the same theme park where dinosaurs ran amok in previous films but this time there’s an extra scary reptile on the rampage called the Indominus.
4. The Avengers, The Walt Disney Studio, 2012
According to IG, Disney took $6.7 million at the UAE box office alone for The Avengers. It went on to achieve even greater success with total worldwide earnings of $1,519,479,547.
In the film, which stars Robert Downey Jr, Scarlett Johansson and Mark Ruffalo, enemy aliens called the Chitauri launch an attack on Earth only to be repelled by the intrepid Avengers.
5. Furious 7, Universal, 2015
Furious 7 was released in the US on April 1st 2015 and in Australia a day later. In the first five days of its release the film took $397.6 million worldwide and has gone on to gross a total of $1,516,246,709.
The film’s been highly praised for its action sequences and also for being a fitting tribute to Paul Walker, star of all the previous Fast and Furious films who died in a car accident before the film was completed.
So there you have them, the big five. For my money the standout film of them all is Titanic for the way that it combines dramatic action sequences with an equally tumultuous emotional punch but maybe you disagree . . .
New Zealand News
- Tesla offering new discounts & perks in China amid negative press
- Electric Vehicle Council slams Victoria Government for proposed punitive mileage tax on electric cars
- Chinese EV brand Ora unveils VW Beetle-inspired electric car Punk Cat
- Swapping personal car for e-bicycle saved over $50,000 in just 7 years: San Francisco woman
- Hyundai Motor Corp to create ultra-fast EV charging network E-pit in Korea
- Tesla pockets roughly $101 million in profit from sale of some of its bitcoins
- Norway’s ICE car sales decline as buyers making shift to EVs
- Pursang launches Retro-inspired E-Track Motorcycle for Euro 14,449 in Netherlands
- ElectReon successfully tests dynamic wireless EV charging system on public road in Sweden