German Recovers from Euro Zone Debt Smoothly
As the Euro Zone debt disaster darkened the outlook for Europe's largest economy, German business emotion dipped in May and private sector growth slowed. There is a fear in the market that the Euro Zone might crumple or the Zone might even disintegrate, this has brought a huge dose of ambiguity into the prospects of business.
“On the one hand you have a weaker euro and strong growth in Asia, which is positive. On the other hand, companies are facing a huge amount of uncertainty due to the debt crisis." said UniCredit economist Andreas Rees. A purchasing managers' index (PMI) heightened the anxiety by showing Germany's private sector development slowed in May as the crisis and a peak in inventory rebuilding put a footbrake on output and order book growth.
An Ifo index on current German business conditions edged up to 99.4 from 99.3 in April, but an expectations index fell to 103.7 from 104.0 last month. Germany exit its deepest post-war recession in the second quarter of last year but the revival slowed in the winter when harsh weather conditions dislocated business activity.
The Federal Statistics Office confirmed on Friday that Gross domestic product (GDP) grew 0.2 % in the first quarter of this year, expanding for the fourth consecutive quarter. The economy was put aside from a fall back into contraction in the January-March period by inventory building, which assisted outweigh shrinking private consumption and construction.
New Zealand News
- Tesla offering new discounts & perks in China amid negative press
- Electric Vehicle Council slams Victoria Government for proposed punitive mileage tax on electric cars
- Chinese EV brand Ora unveils VW Beetle-inspired electric car Punk Cat
- Swapping personal car for e-bicycle saved over $50,000 in just 7 years: San Francisco woman
- Hyundai Motor Corp to create ultra-fast EV charging network E-pit in Korea
- Tesla pockets roughly $101 million in profit from sale of some of its bitcoins
- Norway’s ICE car sales decline as buyers making shift to EVs
- Pursang launches Retro-inspired E-Track Motorcycle for Euro 14,449 in Netherlands
- ElectReon successfully tests dynamic wireless EV charging system on public road in Sweden
- Volvo to design special Gothenburg Green City Zone for autonomous & related technologies