Ministers to debate Meningitis B vaccine in the parliament
Ministers in the United Kingdom might be ready to debate introduction of the Meningitis B vaccine in the parliament following a large campaign.
Ministers have indicated that they will debate introduction of vacancies for the disease after 809,000 people signed a petition calling urging them to take action.The petition recommends government to make sure that all children up to the age of 11 get the Meningitis B vaccine and not just new born babies. It is the biggest petition of kits kind on government website.
The public support for the petition increased after a campaign showed photographs of 2 year old Faye Burdett from Kent and 7 year old Mason Timmins from the West Midlands, who died of the infection.
Prime Minister David Cameron said on Wednesday that evidence allows free vaccine on the NHS to children between two and nine months. However, Stroud-based charity Meningitis is now aiming to challenge the position. All children under the age of one have been vaccinated on the NHS since the previous year but those born before May 2015 are required to pay for the vaccines. The Department of Health said it was following expert advice of the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI).
Meanwhile, some private healthcare providers are charging as much as £750 to vaccinate children against meningitis B. Health care experts said that the same three-dose treatment should cost around just £60 with in the NHS. Some parents are accusing medical centres of exploiting their desperation as there is a worldwide shortage of the vaccine Bexsero.
New Zealand News
- Tesla offering new discounts & perks in China amid negative press
- Electric Vehicle Council slams Victoria Government for proposed punitive mileage tax on electric cars
- Chinese EV brand Ora unveils VW Beetle-inspired electric car Punk Cat
- Swapping personal car for e-bicycle saved over $50,000 in just 7 years: San Francisco woman
- Hyundai Motor Corp to create ultra-fast EV charging network E-pit in Korea
- Tesla pockets roughly $101 million in profit from sale of some of its bitcoins
- Norway’s ICE car sales decline as buyers making shift to EVs
- Pursang launches Retro-inspired E-Track Motorcycle for Euro 14,449 in Netherlands
- ElectReon successfully tests dynamic wireless EV charging system on public road in Sweden