Lonmin appoints Barrie van der Merwe as CFO
Lonmin, a leading platinum producer has announced that it has appointed Barrie van der Merwe as its chief financial officer.
The company has said that Mr van der Merwewill succeed Simon Scott as chief financial officer. The management announced Mr Scott's resignation in the previous week but did not announce any date. The company had announced at that time that the search for the successor was in advanced stage.Mr Scott had worked as acting CEO for a period of time for the company when former CEO Ian Farmer had left the company.
Mr van der Merwe has worked on several finance positions in the mining industry over the years. He has worked as chief financial officer at diamond miner Debswana, De Beers' joint venture with Botswana's government, between 2012 and 2015. He also held several senior financial management positions with Anglo American and Anglo Platinum during previous decades. His appointment is expected to take effect on 17 May, 2016.
"I am pleased to welcome Barrie to the Lonmin board. He brings with him a significant amount of knowledge of the sector and South Africa and I have no doubt he will make a valuable contribution to the board," commented Lonmin chairperson Brian Beamish.
New Zealand News
- Tesla to design & build affordable EV in China: Tom Zhu
- First deliveries of all-electric Porsche in Australia to take place this weekend
- Crown Resorts suffers record six-month loss due to COVID-19 closures
- Australia’s Crown Resorts 'not suitable' for Sydney gaming license: Inquiry Commission
- What Does Phasing Out Cheques Tell Us About Finance in New Zealand?