Edmonton Promises to Be More Age-Friendly
Edmonton has become the first city in Canada to provide seniors declaration which will make the city to become a better place for senior people. It was hoped that this would encourage other cities across the country to adopt similar measures. A ceremony on Thursday officially proclaimed the declaration.
It was stressed that senior citizens are avoided and isolated by the society and considered to be past their prime. But this declaration outlines their important value and contribution in the society.
The declaration also aims to respect all individuals in the society irrespective of their age. The city will implement these measures by building roads and areas which support old people. It will include installing more benches in parks to encouraging people to give up their seats on a bus or subway train to an elderly person.
It was also felt that increasing opportunities for young people and old people to get together should be encouraged and children would be made aware about the various problems and issues faced by the senior citizens.
An attitudinal shift is more important compared to anything else to understand senior citizens in a better manner. It was also argued that senior citizens need to be provided more chances to have access to programs, employment, activities and services. These would help in making them feel more valued, respected and appreciated by all the members of the society.
New Zealand News
- Porsche reportedly developing electric version of 718 sports car
- Tesla Model Y Performance becomes little bit more expensive to order in China
- Porsche’s recently unveiled Mission R Concept previews electric race cars of future
- Chinese manufacturer GAC’s Aion V e-SUV can charge 0-80% in just 8 minutes
- Oshidori International exits Japanese casino race, citing serious ethical irregularities
- Plug-in cars’ share grows to 32% in Netherlands in September 2021
- Italian motorcycle racer Valentino Rossi enters e-bike business with VR46 MTB range
- Micro Mobility shows off production version of Microlino 2.0 and 3-wheeled e-scooter
- Chinese electric motorcycle maker Evoke Motorcycles to set up shops in Spain
- TenneT adds more electric BMWs to study use of EVs to support power grids