Leeds Needs Immediate Policies to Combat Obesity Epidemic
It has been reported that a number of residents in Leeds, more than 32,000 people, are living with some sort of debilitating condition having a strong influence from the obesity epidemic in the region. The continuously worsening health condition is believed to burden the NHS with £1mn per hour.
A recently released report has exposed severe hike in the number of patients diagnosed with health conditions, especially those who are believed to have close association with obesity. The report claimed during the last five years, there was a 25% increase in such cases with 31,980 reported cases, a significant hike as compared to 25,403 cases acknowledged between 2006 and 2007.
The northern and Yorkshire Regional Manager at Diabetes UK, Linda Wood, said: “Whilst rates of other serious conditions including many cancers, heart disease and stroke are steady or declining, the epidemic of diabetes continues to grow at even faster rates”. In addition, Linda Wood has marked it as high time to take any efficient action and claimed that diabetes and related complications tend to consume a good portion of NHS speeding, around £9 billion per year or £1m an hour.
While briefing the terrible Type 2 diabetes, the Spokeswomen for NHS Leeds notified unhealthy lifestyle as well as other health conditions such as obesity, higher alcohol consumption, lack of physical activities offers a feasible environment to develop the health condition.
As per data retrieved from the NHS Information Centre, the region has witnessed around 12,651 hospitalizations during 2009 and 2010, due to obesity alone.
Frequent urination, increased thirst, unexpected weight loss, and blurred vision are a few of the alarming symptoms of the disease. Experts suggest introducing some positive changes in the lifestyle for people living with Type 2 diabetes.
New Zealand News
- Porsche reportedly developing electric version of 718 sports car
- Tesla Model Y Performance becomes little bit more expensive to order in China
- Porsche’s recently unveiled Mission R Concept previews electric race cars of future
- Chinese manufacturer GAC’s Aion V e-SUV can charge 0-80% in just 8 minutes
- Oshidori International exits Japanese casino race, citing serious ethical irregularities
- Plug-in cars’ share grows to 32% in Netherlands in September 2021
- Italian motorcycle racer Valentino Rossi enters e-bike business with VR46 MTB range
- Micro Mobility shows off production version of Microlino 2.0 and 3-wheeled e-scooter
- Chinese electric motorcycle maker Evoke Motorcycles to set up shops in Spain
- TenneT adds more electric BMWs to study use of EVs to support power grids