Study highlights ways to lessen cholesterol levels other than statins
Statins work great when it comes to lowering cholesterol levels and reducing the risk of heart events. They are considered to be a safe option, but a new study has found that there are other ways as well to lessen the levels of cholesterol, including change in diet, surgery to shorten parts of the intestines and taking different drugs.
A research paper published in JAMA has unveiled that researchers have scanned 49 trials that involved nine different ways to lower cholesterol levels in over 300,000 people.
The cholesterol-lowering strategies fell into four main categories, including statins, other options that work akin to statins but are not statins like diet and drug ezetimibe, the new class of cholesterol-lowering drugs like PCSK9 inhibitors and the drugs like fibrates and niacin that increase HDL levels and lowers LDL levels in the circulation.
Study’s lead researcher Dr. Marc Sabatine, a cardiologist at Brigham and Women’s Hospital was of the view that statins and the options that worked like statins, but in reality they are not, lessened the risk of heart events by around the same amount.
The fibrates and niacin did not show any decline in heart events and the PCSK9 inhibitors have proven to be beneficial. The study findings are considered to be motivating. The American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology has mentioned in its guidelines in 2013 to focus on statins as a first-line therapy.
Sabatine was of the view, “If you look at older versions of the guidelines, there was a focus on getting LDL cholesterol down through a series of different options”. The findings will prove beneficial for those who cannot tolerate statins.
New Zealand News
- Porsche reportedly developing electric version of 718 sports car
- Tesla Model Y Performance becomes little bit more expensive to order in China
- Porsche’s recently unveiled Mission R Concept previews electric race cars of future
- Chinese manufacturer GAC’s Aion V e-SUV can charge 0-80% in just 8 minutes
- Oshidori International exits Japanese casino race, citing serious ethical irregularities
- Plug-in cars’ share grows to 32% in Netherlands in September 2021
- Italian motorcycle racer Valentino Rossi enters e-bike business with VR46 MTB range
- Micro Mobility shows off production version of Microlino 2.0 and 3-wheeled e-scooter
- Chinese electric motorcycle maker Evoke Motorcycles to set up shops in Spain
- TenneT adds more electric BMWs to study use of EVs to support power grids